William - Hillsborough, North Carolina

Children in today’s world are being destroyed by the culture on television. There are messages in these advertisements that make the youth rebel against their parents and friends and experiment with alcohol and sexual activities. They make it seem okay for teenagers to go out, party hard and think they can get away with it because they are in the “popular” crowd. This subject really hits home with me because my younger brother was a “victim” to these kinds of advertisements.

My brother’s name is Nick and he was a sophomore in high school last year; he was one of those kids in school that everyone wanted to be. He wanted to be in the center of attention at all times and would have done anything to stay there. Then one day he just went to far and got into the wrong crowd people at school. He thought going to parties to drink every night was “the cool thing to do” because he said that he saw it on television that all the cool people did the same. After this started he just went down hill. He started hanging out with the sluts from school and even got hooked on drugs. It had gotten so bad that mom threatened to kick him out of the house. He didn’t care because he thought that if he got kicked out, he could just go live with his father, but dad had other ideas. My dad thought that he was screwing up his life, throwing away all his chances of a scholarship for college and that he should straighten out his life before he went to far. So one day, I went up to my brother because someone had to tell him that he was doing wrong and he needed to slow down or that he could just leave and never come back. This really got to him because I think he realized how bad of a influence that he had become. He looked around and saw that all his old friends were leaving him, his family thought that he was an outcast, not that many people thought that he was that great of a guy anymore and his new “friends” only thought it was cool to hang out when it was party time. He thought it was the cool to party all the time because he always saw those commercials on television that the person that everyone wanted to be was doing the same things.

I believe that false advertisement through television is not only ruining the children of the world. If my brother had never seen those ads, he would never had turned out like he did; he is still tiring to rebuild his life to get his old life. I just wish that one day someone will try their hardest to stop instances like this so that they will not have to learn that if you booze, you lose.