Robert - Gastonia, North Carolina
Themes: nature

The Wonders of Nature

When I was younger, about nine or ten, my family took a camping trip to one of the mountains of the Appalachian Mountain Range, which are only a few hours from where I live. At that moment I really got to see what the true outdoors were like for the first time, no buildings or power lines just trees and an open skyline. I became awe struck at the site of it all. Right when I stepped out of the car I started exploring the woods for whatever animals I could find. I immediately feel in love with the outdoors after that experience. Since that trip I have gone on countless others with my family and friends, but it was that first trip that started it all.

Now that I am older and somewhat wiser I have realized that when I grow old I want a place that my children and grandchildren can go to so that they can experience the wonders of God’s beauty and all that it has to offer in the same way that I did. Hopefully the mountains will still be there in there natural state Some of the most amazing things in life are right in front of us, we just need to slow down and take it all in.

If I could use one word to describe the great outdoors it would have to be ‘simplicity.’ There are no pagers, cell phones, computers, and believe it or not, no Facebook or Myspace. It is just you, maybe some friends and family and the wonders of nature. All you need to make the trip happen are a sleeping bag, water, tent, and some food. Best of all you don’t have to impress anyone with fancy clothes or some wild story about your life, its just you being yourself and enjoying all that surrounds you.

I recently went on a camping and hiking trip in Panther Town Valley and was able to learn a few new things. It was a time where I gained a few new friends that I had met at school and we were able to really connect in our surroundings. It was as if nature itself brought us closer to one another, now it seems like I’ve known those fellows for a while when it has actually only been a few weeks.

Although my future occupation may have little or nothing to do with camping or the outdoors, I plan on keeping in touch with nature, dropping in for a camping trip here and there. I plan on using nature as my therapy, it will be a great escape from the city life and the strenuous job I will surely have. I would like to go on about life with the comfort of knowing that these treetop mountains around me will be here for centuries to come so that others may enjoy them as I have. I believe the outdoors are the key to every person’s illness, including boredom.