Katie - southlake, Texas

Physical Exertion

“Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity” (John F. Kennedy). I believe in the benefits of physical fitness and its overall influence on the health and productivity of a nation. Americans are moving toward a vegetative and complacent state of obesity, which is causing us to become a less progressive nation. With this change in the importance of health, we are causing our life expectancy to drop for the first time and causing an increase in death rates. Therefore, in order to improve our economic standing and our future outlook we must encourage a more physically active environment. With physical fitness, not only does one’s health improve, but he will also experience higher self confidence and overall self worth. As many experts, say without good health, there cannot be wealth. In order to develop into a prosperous nation, we must strive to become a healthier society. Without good health there would be no point in having wealth because Americans would not have the lifespan to take advantage of it.

Growing up and living in an active and physical environment, I tend to see all the benefits of fitness. At the age of nine, I made the decision to move from recreational soccer to a competitive club team. With club soccer came two to three practices a week, an hour and a half commute, and games every weekend. Although physically tasking and time consuming, the same fun and games still remained. Regardless of the rigorous commitment, the physical activity gave me more energy to complete all the tasks that I wanted and needed to in a timely manner. Along with the benefits of increased energy came lifelong lessons of friendship and teamwork. Friendship was learned early because without it teamwork and winning were nearly impossible.

Although tedious, time consuming, and often down right horrible, physical fitness in today’s society should be a necessity. I want a society where obesity is not the leading cause of death, where high cholesterol is not an epidemic, and where heart attacks are no longer a common occurrence. I have faith in a society where fit not skinny will become attractive and where obesity will not accepted as normal. We must strive for something different, something better than mediocrity, and something better than normalcy.