Ashli - Cullohwee, North Carolina

Individual Choices

God, family, and good friends are the only things that will get you through life. Being a college freshman there is so much pressure to fit in, get comfortable with the transition, having fun, and doing your studies. Just thinking about everything you have to do makes me glad that I believe in God, have a very supportive family and good friends.

I became a Christian when I was six years old and have been going to church ever since I can remember and in doing so I have become a stronger person. I used to be a very shy person, and still am to an extent, but I never wanted to get involved with anything, but when I changed churches the youth program was very welcoming that I felt more spiritually moved to go out and share my faith with others. From personal experience I know that is really hard to always put God first but you can’t do anything without his help; and he will help you. Having smart and compatible friends can help your college career be very successful.

Making good friends is one of the hardest things for college students to do. There are so many people out there; some are good and some are bad. In choosing your friends you should ask yourself “if I hang out with this person or group, am I going to end up regretting it later?” If the answer is yes or you don’t know, then stay away. So many people come to college for the wrong reasons and so many “good” people get mixed up with the wrong crowds and end up ruining their life or someone they love. I know when you are in college you do not want your parents telling you what to do or who to hang out with but most of the time they are right and know what’s best.

I’m sure in saying that last sentence some of you are offended. I know from personal experience that my parents were just trying to protect me from someone who I thought was my best friend, and since I didn’t listen I got hurt really bad. I am not saying you have to obey everything your parents say but do listen and take into consideration that most parents just want to see you succeed and be happy. With the help of my parents, I have made it this far. Wow, I never thought I would say that but being off on my own makes me wish in some ways that I had listened to what they had said more because they love me and want the best for me.

There are a lot of things for college students to think about but putting God first, having a supportive family, and close friends will make your life easier.