Alexandra - Raleigh, North Carolina

Friendship is a Game of Rathamon

It was my first day of kindergarten and I was alone, stepping onto the bus. I had just moved to town and did not know anyone. I was shaking, walking onto the bus. Who was I going to sit with? I started to get nervous as I made my way toward the back of the bus. There was no one to could sit with! Then, a girl asked me if I wanted to sit next to her. I turned around and came face to face with Carolyn Moore, my best friend. I sat down, and we started discussing the types of Christmas cakes our moms baked. Fast forward 13 years and we are still inseparable. I believe that what Carolyn and I have is true friendship.

After 13 years of friendship, there are a lot of stories to tell. I have my favorites and so does Carolyn, but the one we both tell the most is how we spent our childhood playing an imaginary game called Rathamon. In this game a giant lizard, Rathamon, and his army chase us around the neighborhood trying to capture us. It was a stretch of our imagination, but we had fun. Carolyn and I attempted to teach our other friends the game, but could not think outside the box. In order to have a healthy friendship, you must be able to see all sides of everything – use your imagination. In a friendship, you have to try and understand where they are coming from. It may sound weird, but Carolyn and I connected when we played Rathamon. We used each other’s imaginations, along with our own, to figure out what each of us wanted.

Friendship can be defined as many things. Webster’s Dictionary defines friendship as “the state of being friends or a friendly feeling.” Should the word you are trying to define really be used in the definition? A word that can not be defined must be a complex word. To me friendship is when two people connect, find something they have in common, and take it to that next level. Friendship should be cherished. Friends, other people, are the base of a friendship. A friend is someone you know well and care about, a person who you can believe in and trust. A friend is someone you can call at anytime of the day knowing they will be there to answer the phone and talk to you. Friends offer you a shoulder to cry on.

It is difficult to write down on paper exactly what friendship means. In spite of this, everyone seems to know what friendship is and the joy it brings. I believe in friendship and the joy it brings me. I hope to never go a day without my friends. It was like Tome Petty said in his song Don’t Fade On Me “you were the one who made things different, you were the one who took me in. You were the one thing I could count on, above all, you were my friend.”