Marc - Longmont, Colorado

This I believe

When I was young I believed in a God and that the Bible was the word of God. As I grew older and became a doctor and studied molecular genetics at a graduate school level I began to question my belief systems. This led me to realize that religion was man made. That the Bible was written by people of that age to explain events of that particular time. That people take to religion out of fear of the unknown. I believe now that religion on balance does more harm that good. That it builds walls around people and isolates them. That the religion one accepts is determined by the community one is born into. I believe that religion creates subjection of women, intolerance and excuses for wars. That religion gives answers that cannot be questioned. That religion allows good people to do evil. I believe that there are an infinite number of universes and that universes have been here forever with no beginning and no end. That his negates the need for a God. I believe that the purpose of humans is created by each of us and nothing else. That we have no special place in the cosmos and all things can be explained by natural processes which is wondrous of itself. I believe that our planet, our galaxy and all the trillions of other galaxies are interconnected. I believe that possibly we are the stewards of not just our planet but the entire universe and we need to do a better job of protecting our planet and the intelligent life that has evolved over billions of years. We are at the crossroads in history and the final outcome remains uncertain. That one day a religion will emerge that stresses the oneness of all humans as we are 99.999% the same genetically. This I believe with all my heart.