Logan - Fithian, Illinois

This I Believe…

Going through school, what was the most important thing to you? Was it clothes, sports, or maybe academics? I think most people would fall into those categories, but I believe that the most important thing I could get in school and through life is friendship. I don’t remember a day that I could have made it through without the guidance and wisdom of my friends.

There are many instances in my life that showed me that friendship is the key to happiness. One example is my career in football. I started playing football my freshmen year in high school. I somewhat knew the game from watching Sunday night football games but beside the basic rules I was clueless. Going into my freshmen year I was worried because I didn’t want to mess up and my first two years I wasn’t sure I would even play again because of how nervous I got from wanting to show my teammates that I could do it right. But even then, every step of the way, I had a friend guiding me, showing me what to do, and teaching me the sport. They were always there telling me how to run a specific play or give me hints on how to perfect my form. Finally, my junior year I knew what I was doing. I was finally comfortable playing the game. Now, my friends helped me but in different ways. I was starting to get encouragement and respect. When I was down about something it was always my friends who were there to remind me that things happen and I just have to get through them and work harder, so I just kept working hard for my friends.

My years in football have taught me a lot about how friends can help each other out but it never taught me how it felt when a friend moved away. Last year one of my friends was involved in an incident that almost caused him to be kicked off the football

team for his senior year. Because of his determination, he has become an excellent athlete through-out his years of football. Knowing that he may go on to play college football he wasn’t about to let that slip up hurt him. So if things went bad he had planned on moving to Indiana. After I heard his decision I realized what that meant to me. I would now have to go through my last year of high school without my best friend. I was scared. I know that walking across that stage on graduation day is like saying good-bye to all the great times I shared with my friends and probably not sharing those memories with them ever again. And now I would have to go through my last year, what was supposed to be the best year of my teenage life, without one of the people who made school fun in the first place.

But everything turned out well, all my friends are making school as fun as ever, and my senior year is going great. Trey Parker and Matt Stone, (Producers of South Park) once said, “I’ve learned that all a person has in life is family and friends. If you lose those, you have nothing, so friends are to be treasured more than anything else in the world.” That quote reminds me that I have to cherish the fun times I have with the people that I’ve spent 18 years with and hopefully I’m still going to have some of those same friends around for the next 60 years.