Katherine - Overland Park, Kansas

After 21 years of living, this I believe – there are great men and women that surround me everyday. In my senior seminar history class at the small private college I attend, we were recently discussing “great man” history, which is the tendency of biographies to focus on the great or important people in history. This got me to thinking about how many great men and women I know that will probably not do anything that will get someone to write their biography, but they are still great none the less. They make the world a better place just by being the human being they are and doing what they can to improve the lives of those around them.

There is my summer day camp supervisor, who always made me, the camp counselor, feel supported because I could come to him with any camper issue and he would do his best to help me. He makes the world a better place because he is protecting children, the future of our society. There is my sorority alumna advisor, who gives of her time to help my chapter succeed in every way possible. She is our cheerleader, our realist, and our home away from home mom. She makes the world a better place because she exemplifies to us chapter women what successful women look like. There is a close friend, who is not afraid to dance to the beat of her own drum. She makes the world a better place because she gives me confidence to be myself and to not care so much what others think. There is the cashier at Wal-Mart who greets me with a smile. She might not know it, but she makes the world a better place because of the positive energy she radiates to customers who might be having a bad day. There is my mother, father, and sister who always make me feel important and special at times I am definitely not feeling important or special. They make the world a better place because of their kind hearts and their commitment to helping others in need.

It is these people, and others like them, that make life worthwhile. Although most great people will never be formally recognized for the great things they do, they make up the majority of humanity. And this gives me hope that the world we live in actually is a good place to be. This I do believe.