Andrew - DeSoto, Texas

I believe in trusting myself. I believe in setting goals. I believe in not quitting. I believe nothing is going to be easy in life. I believe being popular isn’t the answer to everything. I believe that money isn’t all that important.

In my eight-grade year, my Middle School baseball team was coming off a tough seventh grade season. The first practice of our eight-grade season we made a team goal. Our team goal was to play in the DPL Championship Game and not quit during the season. The Falcons went 5-0 in our first five games going into the sixth game of the season against the team that knocked us out of the playoffs our seventh grade year. We ended up loosing the game by one run, our team was upset and looking for excuses. After that game, we wanted to quit, but we did not, we worked and became even stronger and better. We made the playoffs with a 7-3 record ranked third in our league.

We had reached half of our goal, but were not done yet. We won the first two playoffs games with no problem. We went into the championship game with great momentum. We started the game slow, with the score 4-2 going into our last two at bats. The attitude in the dugout was unhappy and angry and we knew if we wanted to win, we would have to change that, we scored five runs in that inning, and two in our last at bat. We scored seven runs to make the score 9-5 and the opposing team going into their last at bat being home team. They had an unbelievable rally scoring five runs to win in the last inning with a final score of 10-9. We were all upset with ourselves but in reality we did everything we could, leaving everything out on the field and had nothing to be upset about. That game was one of the hardest losses of my life, but also taught me that when I believed in myself and my team that we can be powerful.

One of my role models is Michael Young, shortstop of the Texas Rangers. He is not the most paid player, or the most popular, but he leaves everything on the field and will not stop at just ok, but perfection. He will watch tape until he memorizes the opposing picture and help his teammates when they are in a slump or just not playing good. We can all learn something from Michael Young.

When I make a goal I do not like to quit. I will do anything to get to my goal, weather it be a problem with people or anything else. I will always try to work things out to make it better. If you do not set goals, you will have nowhere to go. If you have no where to go in life then you probably will not be to successful.