Andrea - Hutchins, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living life to the fullest. I believe in living life with no regrets.

The motto I like to live my life by is “live with no regrets”. One thing that opened my eyes to this aspect was playing volleyball. I remember playing when I was like 11. There was no one to yell at you, no one to tell you what you did right or what you did wrong. It was all so easy. They didn’t care if you were good. The only thing that mattered to them was that you actually tried. Since volleyball came so naturally to me, I developed the habit of not really trying, but I could still do better than everyone else.

Now that I am 14, and I play with girls anywhere from one to three years older than me, I have to prove to myself, to my teammates, to my coaches, to my friends and family, that I am all that they expected. I have to try a lot harder now. I have to prove myself. I have to go to three-hour practices on Friday nights when everyone else is at football games. I have to work my butt off to show the coaches that I care. I believe that if I do not put forth 110 percent effort, then I am not living up to my full potential and living life to its fullest.

I used to be so scared of making mistakes. Now I try not to dwell on them, because no matter what, it affects how I play and affects my attitude. If I am too scared to show everyone just how tough I am, and just how much I deserve that starting spot as Outside Hitter on Varsity Volleyball, then I am not living life to its fullest.

One book that has really had an impact on me is The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. The characters in the story do things without really thinking about them. They do things because they want to do them. But they also do not really listen to or pay attention to authority. I have to say, most of the time I am like that. I never want to listen to anyone. I always want to have it my way. This has actually caused me more pain rather than pleasure.

My parents get really mad at me because they say I don’t listen, which is true. So, instead of me getting what I want, they usually take something away from me for not obeying them. I wish I could change that about myself—my stubbornness. I cannot really live my life with no regrets if I always want things done my way, and in the process, end up hurting someone. I constantly regret those kinds of things that I do.

I believe in living life with no regrets. I believe in living life to its fullest. This I believe.