Cody - Oakwood, Illinois

“When you go out into the world watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together”. This is one of many basic rules of kindergarten according to Robert Fulghum. When you run out into the world full speed be careful, you never know what traffic life has coming your way. Hang on to the people and things that mean the most to you and cross the road of life together.

We can take this idea and use it in every aspect of our lives. Through out my life I have learned that my family are the only people I can trust. If I am going through a hard time, they are always there for me to fall back on.

In the last three years of my life I have had to face diversity to the fullest extent. My cousin, Arieal, was put in to foster care. My family at the time was forced to make a choice with only a few hours to come up with a decision. My family could take in my cousin and raise her, which wasn’t a problem, but if we did take Arieal we would be forced to take in her two half sisters, Chian and Lanie Ray, both of them had no relation to the family. The two younger girls were both biracial as well.

Now you can only imagine what a kid in middle school growing up in a predominantly white community would be thinking at this point. I was sitting at the table looking at two girls, one a newborn and the other only a one year old. I was completely petrified. After everything had clicked and I realized the seriousness of what my family decided to do caused me to realize how much my life was about to change I went to my room and cried.

Four years later I can now look back at everything my family and I have been through with the girls and I realize how selfish I was when they first came into my life. I wouldn’t change anything that has happened and I am now very thankful that my family was given a chance to change three girls’ lives and give Ariel, Chian, and Lanie a home. I now know these three girls as nothing but my sisters and I wouldn’t have it any other way. They are a big a part of my life. Whenever they attempt to go out into the world and cross the road, I will be there holding their hands the whole way, and that’s a good feeling.