Emily - Centennial, Colorado

I believe that happiness holds a family together. At home there’s always yelling. I have to go to school or the library for silence. I usually feel like my family is my friends. Although I’m not always the one who’s being yelled at. My family doesn’t seem to be happy. My parents are married but split up. When we lost our house we didn’t know where to go. My sister, dad, and I moved in with my grandmother. Since my mom and grandmother don’t get along my mom moved in with her mom. My family is going through an emotional break down, but no one shows it. They say that the yelling is the happiness, yet I just don’t see how anger is happy.

When my family is upset I’m upset. My sister leaves as if she isn’t part of the family. I understand that you would want to walk away, but would if your family needs you? I guess my sister doesn’t realize what our family can be. Sometimes we have the greatest time in the world. It’s hard when my mom has bipolar. She over reacts about every problem. Then the problem becomes a huge problem. It’s as if the problems are my fault, but other people say it isn’t. Bipolar makes my mom over react about a lot. She is always running above normal on her emotions and actions.

My dad isn’t around enough to be dad, but he tries hard. He works fourteen hours a day. Sometimes he goes over to his friend’s house to drink. I’ll be mad if he messes up again with drinking and driving. When that happened he went to jail with work release for five and half months. After, I felt like I had to support myself. I’m not ready to do that. It’s as if no one cares, but deep down we all do even my sister.

The decisions I’m making affect my parents because they want me to have the safest careers. My wish is to be in the Marines or Navy and my dad will support me, but my mom despises war. My mom won’t support me unless I become a teacher like she used to be. My mom and I fight about everything. I became mad because she doesn’t have a job. If she can’t support herself then why does she give me advice?! I know she cares, but she won’t let me make my own mistakes. I’m just going my own way. That way I’ll be happy.

In conclusion, I love my family because of good times and now that my dad has a steady job I feel like we are repairing the family. Soon we will appear to be like the Brady Bunch family. When we become a close family maybe we can have family dinners! I still have one unanswered question. Why do adults have children if there just going to make the same mistakes over and over?!