David - littleton, Colorado

David Ruybal

September 15, 2006

I believe in those who should never be forgotten. I believe in firefighters and how they risk their lives every day as they step into the burning building for others. As the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon has just passed, we must never forget. There were 343 firefighters who died going in the burning towers to save the lives of others they did not know. They had the heart and commitment to step foot inside, not knowing what lie ahead. As they climbed the stairs working harder and harder to get to those stranded at the top, they saw the frightened men and women covered in debris and ash. Those images gave them the extra momentum to never quit as they saved lives of the frantic people stranded virtually everywhere. Firefighters volunteer their time everywhere as they educate us about safety: school events, fundraisers, health fairs, and or even summer camps. I believe firefighters have an astonishing amount of courage, faith, and self–motivation. Each and every day firefighters lay their lives on the line to save ours. Arriving first at a car crash scene to remove people from a vehicle, before entering unstable structures looking for a scared animals long after the last person was rescued, entering frigid waters to search for a child who slipped under the thin ice are just a few examples of a firefighter’s daily experiences. From past experience, I visited a firehouse. Every firefighter was outgoing, caring, and responsible. When the time came to suit up and head towards the scene their facial expressions changed. They are no longer smiling and interactive but instead they are in deep thought, problem solving of what lie ahead. Every firefighter, I believe, is a role model. This statement is confirmed about firefighters as I watch shows, documentaries, and movies displaying their profession. Like the show “Inside The Twin Towers “, I saw firefighter’s helping others as they carry out a sick or injured people to safety. Firemen have the courage to do their job. As our lives roll on, I will always believe in firefighters as they risk their lives daily keeping us safe. The thought of my life as a fireman is intriguing to me especially after seeing firefighters do their job. For these reasons I must consider this inspiring profession as I get older.