Nicholas - Indianola, Iowa
Themes: community

The Space Between

I believe we are all connected.

It seems almost ludicrous to imagine that everyone in this world is connected to one another. With the Earth’s population soaring towards 7 billion people, how could anything bind us together? Lets face it; on the outside this world is divided by hundreds of invisible lines. Lines that tell me I am an American, that I am Midwesterner, that I am an Iowan. Thousands of miles away there are young men and women with tanks and guns shooting at each other simply because they were born within different invisible boundaries. At home it’s just as hard to feel connected to anyone. We are people of different colors, languages and origins. We attend church, mosque and temple as well as a myriad of other places to worship. We go to different schools where we are split into classes by our age. Then we are divided yet again by our intelligence. We are separated by gender, sexual preference and lifestyle. Each of us has unique passions, interests and hobbies. In the summer we cheer for separate baseball teams. In the fall we vote for different political candidates. And amongst such division it is far too easy to feel alone.

A few years ago I watched a relatively unknown independent film called Before Sunrise. The premise of the film is that a young man and woman meet on a train and spend one romantic evening walking the streets of Vienna. There was one scene in the film that struck me in such a way that not a day goes by when I am not somehow affected by it. The young woman in the film named Celine says, “I believe if there’s any kind of God it wouldn’t be in any of us, not you or me but just this little space in between. If there’s any kind of magic in this world it must be in the attempt of understanding someone sharing something.”

On the outside, this world seems like a detached mess. Yet like Celine, I believe that we are all bound together. That regardless of our nationality, religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, class, political affiliation or physical and mental capacity, all of us have the ability to love. I believe that like radio waves, which float through our fingertips as though they were invisible grains of sand, love transparently holds everything together. I believe that it is only in the mysterious bonds of love that we remain connected in this divisive world. It is a delicate tapestry of winsome elegance, a bittersweet symphony of what it means to be human.

I believe that no matter where we are, we all stand under the same cerulean sky. No matter where we are, we all breathe the same air. I believe that the same bright star shines down upon our faces. I believe that hope exists in the space between two people. But above all, I believe we are all connected.