Connor - Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Themes: respect

It is something everyone wants, not many have, and few want to give. Many people would appreciate some and most people should try to give just that. Unfortunately, this does not happen, very often. Possibly because many people do not understand what respect is. What is respect? The dictionary defines it as the condition of being esteemed or honored. Overall, respect can be broken down into three main forms.

The first is the respect of others. It is adding a ma’am or sir to the end of a sentence. When I was younger I was told to do this, but as I got older I started to fade away from it. It is listening to someone when he/she is talking. Be respectful towards their ideas and what they stand for. September 11, 2001. Two planes crashed into the Twin Towers. Respect means taking that extra few seconds every anniversary to remember those who died and the firefighters who risked their lives for the sake of others. Respect is what brings people together, but if not used, it can tear people apart.

The second is the respect of property. This includes anything from spray painting a brick wall to stealing from the Shell gas station. Property, whether it is yours, the schools, a stranger’s, or even a friend’s, it needs to be respected. That is respect.

Lastly, one must respect his or herself. This respect is having high self esteem and respecting your own opinions. It’s knowing that you have ideas and then sharing them because you are not afraid of what others may think. It is not letting peer pressure and other things affect the way you think or want to think. Respect for yourself is the most important of all because without it, you would have no respect for others.

I now know what respect is and plan to teach it to my children. I believe that if everyone would start to respect each other, this would be a better world. I believe in a better world. I believe in respect.