Kyle - Centennial, Colorado

Perhaps the most puzzling of all the world’s countless creatures, which indulges in fancies and wonder, isn’t as great as once thought. I tell you now that the human race is not as grand as we would all like to believe. I have spent countless nights pondering our existence, meaning, reason, and my thoughts have led me to this.

I am not a religious man, I have no book of significant meaning to look to when I am in doubt, and I therefore have spent my 14 years conjuring up ideas. When I look around at humans, not one in particular, but as a whole, I see no reason, nor evidence, for us to believe that we are the greatest things upon the face of the earth.

We are so much compared to everything, and so little compared to nothing.

I see that we are insignificant compared to the vast beyond, that we can barely even comprehend. Humans are like a little virus upon our earth, that no amount of vaccination can cure. We are the cancer of the world, the itch that cannot be scratched.

I turn on the television, and observe the mayhem we create. Our thoughts seem to be very one dimensional. We linger on, with set opinions on how things should be, not how they are. Our thirst for power on our tiny piece of existence causes us to become very easily corrupted.

Our demise is that we must achieve greatness within the time that we have from the point when we are born to the point when we die. Our limitations are to achieve greatness for one species, one planet, and one thought of what greatness is. Ideologically, greatness determines the superiority of a species, but no race has true glory in my eyes. When you don’t have a supreme being to impress, you begin to live a life full of questions, and imagination.

We are the creators of thought, but we have no real answers. For example, think of our bodies; we are simple yet complex, our existence contradicts itself. Our power of reasoning does not make us a great species, the world would be better off without us polluting its air and destroying its beauty. We are a plague among all that doesn’t have a mind of metal and steel. Our discomforts lead to further destruction; it’s in our nature to lash out violently against anything that sees the world through a different perspective. We kill, burn, scorn, and hate. How then I ask, are we to believe that we are the best amongst the rest? Our hate is far more evident than our love.

Through all the interrelated non-sense that entwines its way into our lives, through the entangling thoughts that pierce their way into our existence, we are a race of un-answered questions and bitterness. This is what I believe.