John - Centennial, Colorado

‘This I Believe’

I believe that people should not be afraid to express themselves in the way they truly believe, but there is a limit. This does not mean that you should hurt people’s feelings or be inappropriate in your actions. You should dress the way you feel like dressing, not like how everyone thinks you should dress. You need to be independent and not to rely on what other people say you should be or what you should wear, say or do.

“Live above the influence” is from a commercial on TV, but it is a great example of what I am trying to say.

Last summer I created sandals by cutting off the heels of my old Vans shoes so I could still wear my favorite old shoes and also get in and out of them quickly. Many people at first thought they were really neat, but then some influential people thought they were stupid and convinced others to speak think the same. I didn’t care and still wore them because I not only created the idea for the sandals, but they mean a lot to me. I didn’t care what they said, because the shoes are an expression of me. I like to think a little differently about things, especially items from everyday life and how I can make them different or better.

I think there are many ways to contribute to society and the world. You can be great by just wanting to be famous, not the way I want to do it, or by contributing something wonderful to society. I would like to be remembered by contributing, not just wanting selfishly to be famous. I think that by being independent and always expressing yourself will allow me to do something great. You don’t have to hide from society and keep your ideas to yourself to be creative. If you do not follow the typical ideas of everyone else, you will be thinking differently and it may turn out to be much better than the typical.

I would like to be remembered to be a person who would do something great, improve the lives of all people and who thought out of the box. Someone who’s not afraid to think different.