Quinn - Centennial, Colorado

When I was a sixth grader at Powell Middle School I developed a horrible habit of not wanting to do my work or anything that I would be assigned to do. I was always disorganized or missing assignments. My grades weren’t even close to what I expected them to be. As I continually struggled through the first semester of middle school my parents began to notice. They set me up with a tutor. The many lessons I received from him weren’t helping me as much as I thought. I would always rather go do something with my friends than is doing my homework. At the end I barely achieved the right to be on A&B honor roll. I was very close to a few C’s. The next semester started where I had left off work second play first. This led to low grades during the third semester. I noticed my parents getting frustrated at my grades. They told me to shape up fast. So, I consulted my grandpa. He explained to me how to set up his business on the motto of work hard play hard. He told me to try this with my school work. I did and it worked, I found my self getting A’s or high B’s on lots of the assignments. At the end of the second semester of sixth grade I received straight A’s. I continued this throughout my middle school career and hope to use this in high school and college.

What I learned out of this experience is if you want to play hard then you have to work hard. They go together really well. Now I know if I work to hard I get stressed and need to take a break because my answers won’t be to the best of there ability. Although if I play to hard then I get lazy and don’t want to do anything and I go back to getting bad grades. With a balanced work and play schedule I get my work done with better answers and I didn’t just work but did something with my friends in between. This combination has helped me get good grades and have good time doing it.