Chunda - Seattle, Washington

“Great works are not performed by strength, but perseverance.” Samuel Johnson once said that. I moved to the United States two years ago from China, where schools evaluate the students only by their grades. The strict education taught me that only having perseverance can stabilize my footstep on the path to success. My parents disciplined me throughout my whole life and that had always compelled me to work harder.

I believe that I have to accomplish something significant in my life in order to repay the great cultivation I had from my parents and my country, but this belief will not exist once I lose my perseverance.

I remember the moment I was saying the word of farewell to my relatives and friends who were sending me off at the airport. I tasted the mixture of sweat from the scorching sun and salty tears from the momentary sentiment. Walking in the Sea-Tac airport, I heard people speaking the language that I couldn’t understand that much and looked the unfamiliar environment that might even get me lost. I felt that I couldn’t wait to explore this new world. I expected there would be a lot more obstacles in my life. I expected that I might have bigger ambition when there came opportunities. But I also knew that perseverance will always be the magic talisman.

I wasn’t physically strong, but when Mr. Thomsen asked me to go on a 31,00-mile bike ride, I said yes without any hesitation. I knew it was not too likely that I would make to Kansas City, Missouri, but I also knew that my perseverance will always encourage me to do my best so there will not be any regrets left by.

I have had two years of high school in the United States. During this period, I overcame the obstacles; I sometimes got compliments from other people; I accomplished the something that I had never thought about. And finally, there is only one year of high school left. I believe that I have to keep up my perseverance because that’s where victory is belonged to.