Lauren - Gainesville, Virginia

I believe in equality in love. Love has very little boundaries. There are so many varieties of people in which they don’t want to set out to try new things, meet new people. Race/ethnicity, color, or language all vary in people. Relationships and interactions with different people is only the beginning. I make an effort to care for people for who they are, not what they look like or their color or ethnicity.

Ever since this past school year, my outlook on life has been so much different. I never imagined anyone could have such a detestable opinion. Why does it matter what the person looks like or what color they are? They are the same person inside. The majority of the older generations today would probably be against an idea such as interracial relationships because they were raised during a time when racism ran fluidly, and equality was scarce. Even today, we still experience racism and discrimination in all areas of the world, even from the young, although the amount of racist people are less numerous. Society today is different from when our parents and grandparents were young.

Each relationship might not be looked upon differently unless it is actually different. Those interracial couples, who might go out on a date, might be judged because they are with someone other than their skin color or ethnicity. Having a “mixed child” may make the opportunities of that child different. Just because they might have two different colored parents, another child might think that’s weird. Other races are many times looked down upon, as if the whites are superior over everyone else. I believe everyone has rights and just because your black or white means nothing.

I am amazed; by the way people that have different views are treated. It doesn’t matter if my grandparents were raised to believe that people of different race were less than them as people, it doesn’t matter that my parents were raised to disagree with interracial relationships, it doesn’t even matter that I have been raised in a society which attempts to accept everyone; love is love. And all three generations know and feel it. Love will never change; it has no evolution, no race, and no boundaries. You never know exactly until you’ve experienced it.