Trisha - Arkansas

BOUND TO HONOR

Honor, a term that seems foreign in a world that views such intangibles as trite and inconsequential. A world that views morality very much like an old, prudish schoolmaster, having become now obsolete, only to be vehemently mocked and shunned, rather than a standard, elementary to our understanding as being the perfect model to which we all have heretofore agreed. A term all but forgotten, its meaning empty, benign. Seen by intellectuals as an innate altruistic human trait, rather than a virtue, hard to be born, made up, and ever duly sworn to…truth. And indeed it is here there comes the parting of ways, for ever shall it be asked, “what is truth?”

Webster defines honor as personal integrity. The word “personal” would seem to denote the place that lies in us where conscience dwells…”oh how deep the waters there, or how parched our hearts from shame’s despair.” The place where our choices secretly turn to steal a reluctant and frightenend glance to see whether the waters rise, or recede. The place wherein it is determined our innocence, or our guilt.

And we, within the austere chambers of our soverign wills, find ourselves entirely free to choose, that which serves honor, or that which serves dishonor, that which serves truth, or that of deceit, that which serves selfless love, or that which serves… love of self.

When a culture is seduced to not only question or challenge this standard, from which honor is born, but even begin to attack it, viewing their newly found cause as liberation from what they view as repression, then this culture will, as history has shown,

migrate to the conscience-abandoned path of overt and blatant narcissism. And, as history reveals, when they have come to the full end of the experiment, exhausting every form of hedonism, then self destruction… almost always follows.

The crux of the matter, and upon which premise a culture will rise or fall, is that to choose honor is a matter of volition. It is not a doctrine that government can impose or enforce. On the contray, it is we who, within these lonely walls, will govern our steps, according to what we believe is truth. For some, it will be that of servitude, for others, the totalitarianism of ego.

The profound irony hidden within this tragic experiment is that we are bound to a conscience, that is bound to honor,…that is bound to truth. Whether we agree or disagree, rebel or concede, in long suffered stillness it will remain unchanged. And in timeless patience offer us these boundaries, that within its borders, having discovered the the aimless and desolate emptiness of self-rule, that we might willingly cast aside our lust for the Throne…and offer it to the rightful Heir..the Ancient and the Honorable…. who is Truth manifest. Then, being bound to Him… “Fear not little flock, it is the Father’s good pleasure to give you the Kingdom.”