Sonya - Rocklin, California

Safe – This I Believe. I believe I am the safest I have been in years. I don’t attribute this to new government controls, the patriot act, the office of homeland security, any official agency, or any new law. No, none of these things make me feel safer than I did September 10, 2001. My fellow Americans make me feel safer. The way we view the world has forever been altered. Before we expected safety to be provided for us by our leaders in the form of social security, crime prevention, CIA, and FBI. We now no longer expect or rely on any agencies to provide safety – we provide it for ourselves. We are more aware of our surroundings. We make it a point to know who is coming in and out of our neighborhoods and why. We make time to meet new neighbors and co-workers. I feel it is important to get to know these people as we may be called upon to work as a team to overcome adversity. People are reporting suspicious behaviors, taking note of cars parked in odd places, and taking necessary precautions. I feel that I am safe because everyone is watching with a more cautious eye. The criminals know it, the citizens know it, and the would be criminals know it. I believe that people are more likely to get involved and assist their neighbor in need. I am not so naïve as to believe that we are not the target of someone’s extreme hatred. I believe that is what is keeping us safe. Knowing that we are a potential target makes us vigilant and ever ready. I believe what has been said about and ounce of prevention, and I believe because of that we, Americans, are safe.