Anna - Meridian, Idaho

When I was a seventeen I was given the opportunity to spend a week wearing a bonnet and bloomers while pulling a hand cart up mountains, through water, and over rocks. I was a pioneer. It was the hardest experience of my life thus far; both physically and spiritually. But through reenacting what my ancestors went through to escape religious persecution I came to gain my own belief of the religion that I had grown up in.

Now I stand strong four years later. I have come to believe in the natural good of man. I believe that there is something bigger here on this planet that I can’t see, yet am apart of. I know without a doubt that every single person that ever lived and that is alive now has the same potential. That none of us have to settle for a life of darkness; that there is an infinite love found under a father- a father that we all share.

I believe in happiness. I believe that the truth of the earth is found in the words of prophets, and that there is a prophet on the earth today. I believe in charity. And not just the large philanthropists acts but the small everyday miracles preformed by actions and deeds- that go unnoticed but yet make all the difference in the world. I believe that families can be together forever. With no end in sight, death only a step, what beauty it’s brought to my life.

I believe that it’s okay to talk about God. To talk to God. I know that through this I am never alone. And you know what? I believe that it’s okay for everyone else to have their own gods too. My beliefs are convictions- gentle but passionate- and I believe that whether or not it’s the only true way doesn’t matter, but that sharing them with others is okay because I’m just telling the world what has given me peace and pure happiness.

I believe in examples. Especially one. The example of Christ, whom I’ve come to know and love, has taught me more about faith, hope, and charity than anyone else. I believe in purpose and motivation. I believe that a prophet restored the gospel in these latter days. I believe in the Book of Mormon.

I believe in my ancestors. They didn’t walk thousands of miles, people dying, sacrificing everything they had, accepting the abuse of mobs and the loss of freedom just for a belief. They knew their beliefs. It was about more than just happiness- it was truth. And I stand with them in spirit today surrounded in that truth. I know this church is true and I stand today, not some crazy Mormon but a proud member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. A religion often times misunderstood but beautiful once given a chance.

It’s a bold statement to make in the world today, but I do indeed believe in God.