Mike - Haymarket, Virginia

I believe in passion for what you do. I have a passion for Tae Kwon Do, I have practiced this martial art for many years, and it is something I have a deep passion for. After years of hard work and practice, I have earned the respect of my peers and instructors. I have also earned the privilege to test for my black belt. This privilege, seen by few who have worked hard and overcome the intense pressure and other obstacles in their path can enjoy this great honor. I have devoted five years of my life to compete in competitions and earn awards for my achievements.

Earning my black belt is going to be the beginning of Tae Kwon Do for me. Black belt is when I will start to fully embrace he art and passion that Tae Kwon Do encompasses. Earning my black belt will open up new doors for me and I will be able to choose my path; whether it is striving for becoming a master instructor or honing my skills in sparring and form. The fluid movements of my form are becoming increasingly more complex and defined. The effort that I have put into this sport has awarded me great success and pride.

Many of my friends have asked me “Why Tae Kwon Do?” all I could tell them was that it was something I loved to do and will continue to do. Other people I know say that what I do has no point or meaning, I feel that this is their point of view, I however, Tae Kwon Do is my life, and it weaves its way into every aspect of my life. Some people wonder what Tae Kwon Do will do for me, at the same time I wonder what it will not do for me. This sport has enriched my life with a knowledge and understanding of people that I never would have seen if I had decided to walk past the building instead of going in and signing up.

People often ask, “What is your favorite hobby?” Or “What do you do for fun?” My answer is always the same I practice Tae Kwon Do. Some people say that Tae Kwon Do is just like Karate but it could not be more different. Karate teaches different lessons then Tae Kwon Do different philosophies and different styles of learning the Martial Art. The Dictionary defines Tae Kwon as an aggressive form of Karate when the two are almost nothing alike.

I have always received support from my family and close friends; many of my friends I have met through Tae Kwon Do and these are the friends that will stick with me forever. They will always support me and understand what I do and why I do it. They know that although Tae Kwon Do is challenging it has its rewards and it never gets old; there are always new and exciting challenges ahead. Tae Kwon Do is something I will always enjoy and never forget.