Bhaskar - Atlanta, Georgia

Recognizing the importance of self-confidence I believe was the most important thing that happened to me.

Almost nineteen years ago, I came to the US from a least developed country in the world to study Master of Business Administration degree. When I was accepted into the program, I did not have a strong command of English language but I had a strong determination of getting quality education. Immediately after I started the program I realized that only a strong determination was not enough to succeed in life. Coming from a least developed to the most advance country of the world, I was very self-conscious of what I did. I was more concerned about what others would say and think of me than focusing on my study. I was completely consumed on what others around me would say to what dress I put-on, what I ate, how I walked, and even how I set my hairstyle (when I still had my few strand of hair). Basically, I was living for others but not for myself. Under these situations, while I was spending more time in front of my books, I was not doing well in my classes. I did not know what to do and how to handle the situation. I was even getting skeptical of my own determination and was asking myself if I would ever be able to successfully complete the program.

In the mean time, as a class assignment, we were required to read a book in one of my classes, and the book that I read changed everything on me. It reminded me that I am unique and there is nobody like me in this whole world even though there are several billion people on this earth. After I read this, something struck on me and changed my life for ever. I was able to relate this sentence to my overly self-consciousness and realized that I am who I am and I do not need to mimic others. From then on, I slowly gained my self-confidence that I needed desperately. I started wearing clothes that were comfortable to me not something that was on style; I started eating foods that I enjoyed not something that everybody around me ate. I started feeling comfortable on what I did and who I was because I did not have to keep justifying to myself for things that I did, and I did not have to worry on how others would perceive of me. Since then I moved on and completed my third master and a doctorate degree. Currently I work in a responsible position in an organization with 20 thousand plus members.

This from my own personal experience I believe that self-confidence is a vital ingredient to succeed in life.