Mara - Hartsville, Indiana

The People Who Care When the World Seems Not To

Have you ever felt like no one in the entire world cared about you? Most people have, at one point or another. As I started middle school, I was a small fish in a big pond. Many of the students from my small elementary school did not accompany me to middle school, which seemed so much bigger. Typically shy around new people, I did not make friends quickly. To me, everybody was out to get me and I would never be able to survive.

Towards the beginning of the school year, my Grandma Jeanie was hospitalized due to heart problems. As I went to school sad, the realization that some of the people I called my friends never once asked me if I was okay or what they could do to help overwhelmed me. Then I questioned who my real friends were. Suddenly I found them, the people who care when the world seems not to. I always know who those people are, because I can count on them for almost anything.

As I found people that were in more than one of my classes, I became less shy. I started talking to more people, and suddenly the world did not seem so mean. Making friends was easy and I had done just that, or so I had thought. My Grandma Jeanie was again put in the hospital from stress and heart problems. Suddenly I realized that I was growing apart from my new friends, and the world again seemed mean. I again made new friends, friends that hopefully would care more than the people that had called themselves my friends.

I became friends with many new people, and I got to know them a lot better than I had known anybody before. As I dove deeper into the facts, I realized that the world is not as mean as I had thought it was. As soon as my mind had changed, my mom came home with bad news: my dad was in the hospital. This devastated me because I am really close with my dad. The next day I did not go to school, but when I went back the next Monday, my friends were there for me and comforted me, because they knew something was wrong. They did not have to ask to be able to look at me and realize that I was not the same. As I sat in class that day thinking about all the events of the weekend, I realized just how much of a good thing I really had. My friends were there for me, even when the world seemed mean. They comforted me and made sure I was not pushed over the edge by anyone or anything at school. They made me realize that I could get through anything, as long as I had friends.

Recently, my dad gave me another piece of shocking news; my Grandma Jeanie has level 2B lung cancer. They had known for a week, but they had waited to tell me until they found out that she could have surgery. She is scheduled to have this surgery in less than a week, and the surgeons will have to take out half of her lung, just to get rid of it. When I told my friends, they were compassionate and caring. They continue to support me through the tough times, and I am very thankful for that.

The people who care, those are the people I want to associate myself with. I want to be around those people and hopefully I will be able to be one of those people for someone else. Everyone needs friends to help them through the bad times, but friends are what make the good times, too. When you associate yourself with people who truly care about you and are good friends, you have a better view of the world and you can be a better friend as well. There is nothing that can take the place of the people who care, even when the world seems not to.