Melanie - columbus, Indiana

I believe that people take friendship for granted, because nobody really thinks about what can happen to lose a friendship. I know this from personal experience.

In 5th grade, I was best friends with two girls whom I had known since 3rd and 1st grade. We were close, like a tight-knit family. Over the years, we all changed and grew apart. One of the girls got more and more involved with school, the other one with sports. I was kind of left alone.

After all of the growing apart had started to take effect, I started hearing some very rude and unkind things that they had said about me. Not understanding why they were talking about me behind my back, I decided to ask them what was up. They assured me that I had nothing to be worried about and that it was all rumors. Since I had once been so close to them, I of course believed them. What a mistake that was!

I had eventually become good friends with another girl, so I didn’t really think about the rumors much. But things eventually deteriorated with that friendship too. I was so confused! How could I have lost a friend that fast? I was so upset that day I went home and told my mom all about it. She told me that everything would be okay and that if someone was really my friend, they wouldn’t say rude things about me behind my back.

The next day I went back to school and I cried all day. Everyone was being rude and nasty to me, and my best friend even said my hair looked ugly.I felt like I had no true friends. I was lonely. I still have that feeling of emptiness when I see my childhood friends, and I wonder why they did that to me. I also think about how I could’ve been friends with them, but then I’m happy because I moved on and made better friends who have stuck by my side through tough times.

Eventually both of the girls had apologized to me, and there aren’t really any hard feelings, but I think that way too many people take friendship for granted. I did tell them that it was their fault for being rude, and that I had no interest in being their friends anymore .Friendships should be cherished by people that love you.