Megan - vacaville, California

Everyday Heroes

I believe that heroes are part of our everyday lives. They are not two dimensional, and their handprints are not cast in concrete on Hollywood boulevard. They don’t get paid millions of dollars to portray a character on Television or on the big screen. They live next door to you, you walk by them on the street. Real heroes go unnoticed everyday. My hero is my Mother. She is and will always be there for me whenever I need her, and she has taught me who I want to be. She is the strongest woman I have ever met. Her intelligence, her ability to overcome whatever challenge life has thrown at her, and the love she has shown our family make her one of the greatest people in my life. I can only hope that one day I will be as valuable to someone as she is to me.

I am so thankful to have a hero that I can speak to, laugh with, call on the phone and see almost everyday. How many people can say that? For everyone reaching for something they would love to see themselves become, look around you. Look to your friends, your family. Look to someone who has touched your life in a way you will never forget, and say, that is what I want to be, that is where I want to be, and have it really mean something. People give too much credit to icons, ideals they will never be in the same room with. No politician, musician, actor, or race car driver could ever show me what my mother has shown me. Life lessons were taught by the woman who could sit on the edge of my bed and tell me that everything was going to be okay. I don’t need to buy a magazine to see my hero, and that is one of the greatest things I could ask for.

As a young girl I watched her raise two daughters on her own, and even though we didn’t have much I can’t recall ever going without something that I needed. She never let anyone stop her from doing what was necessary to take care of herself and her family. She kept all of our heads way above water and showed me how to be a strong, independent, hardworking woman. Without the example of strength my mother showed me, I’m not sure what kind of person I would be today. I wouldn’t change a thing about my life, and I owe all of my great successes to her.

I believe that everyone should have someone close to them be such an inspiration, a model to help them shape their lives. I feel so lucky that I am one of those people. So to my mother I say thank you. Thank you for being such a strong woman, thank you for taking care of me. Thank you for giving me encouragement, love, and teaching me what it is to be an amazing human being. Thank you for being my hero.