Ademide - Vacaville, California

I believe that there is a reward for hard work.

Reminiscing on yesteryears when both of my parents first came to the United States, I have all cause to believe in this statement. I was born in the States but at a time when my parents were still struggling to settle down. Being immigrants in this country that time was not has easy as it is now. To provide a comfortable life for us the children they both worked hard and also went to college at the same time, leaving us in the care of our grandmother. When they came home, which was usually late in they night, I could see the stress in their face, they never told us anything because they felt we were too young to understand which was true. I remember then, I would wonder why go through all the stress, I mean we were not hungry; we had clothes on our backs and we were attending school. It was later on I understood that there is never a limit to being content, we work hard to get better things.

We were living in Richmond. If you are familiar with California, it is not the best place to raise children. Every now and then we would hear gunshots followed by blares of sirens from ambulances and police cars. It was a very scary place. This made my parents work harder so as to move us away from such environment. They could have settled for the less and just work at a place and earn the minimum wage, but no, they wanted better job opportunities in order to make more money in order to accomplish their goal, which by then, was to move us out from that neighborhood, so they went to school at the same time. Often times, my father would sit us down and tell us the importance of working hard. He would say “nothing comes easy in life so therefore work hard so as not to be a burden on others”. He was talking from experience, he knew what he was going through and did not want anyone of us to experience the same thing.

Looking back at those times I have every reason to believe that there is a reward for hard work. We moved away from Richmond and moved into Vacaville, a nice quite town. My dad owns a chain of group homes while my mother is the pharmacy manager at Davis. You could guess we are living much better now. People we knew before now still don’t believe that my parents could achieve what they have achieved presently. I don’t blame them because while they were busy partying and having fun my parents were breaking their backs and burning the midnight oil all in effort to secure a better future, which they have done. I am proud of my parents and their achievements especially of them being immigrants. But I also learnt that there is always a reward waiting after hard work. In this I believe.