Femi - Bronx, New York

I believe in the efficacy of prayers. Throughout my life, I have benefited one way or the other in the power of prayers. My late father made me to understand that, with prayers, all things are possible. In my adult life, at certain times, I have relied solely on prayers to surmount seemingly impossible tasks.

One major incident that readily comes to my mind occurred when I was in my teen, about fifteen years of age. I had been diagnosed with chronic hernia that normally happened to most men in their adulthood. My parents were afraid that I may die if I undergo surgery that was recommended by my doctor. At that time, I was the only son among five children, which made my father’s fear about death more pronounced.

The surgeon suggested that I should go for the operation within two weeks from the day of diagnosis otherwise I may not survive the deadly effect of the disease. But with my parents’ insistent on prayers and their belief in the will of God to save my life, I was put on seven-day prayer period in my mosque. Coupled with fasting by my parents and supplication to Allah, including my personal commitment to prayers, I was relieved of the agonizing pains I went through then.

On the tenth day of prayers, I was taken back to the hospital for my appointment, and the x-ray examination showed that my hernia rupture that was earlier discovered had disappeared. The doctors were amazed and asked my parents how they made it. My father in his characteristics manner told them that his belief made the difference for me.

As a Moslem, I come from a religion that believes that Allah is omnipotent, and knows about everything that happens to someone either good or bad. I believe that through hard work, supported by prayers and total submission to the will of Allah, I can get what I want in life even if it comes late.

This story is one of many instances when I used the power of prayers to get around problems in life that seem rather unsolvable