Audry - Puyallup, Washington
Themes: family, work

Did you know that 25% of children in America are brought up in a single parent household? According to research it has been said that 72% of teenage murders have been committed by a child that was brought up in a household that contained only one parent. (Wikipedia) Since so many murders occur from single parent families it is very difficult to be a successful parent in this circumstance. Having a mother that plays both, a father and mother in a family, can be quite challenging; it takes a great woman to overcome all the tasks that usually two parents handle. I believe that a single mother can take on both roles within the household and be successful at it, because I have seen my mother take on this responsibility.

My mother has accomplished the role of being the father of the family and at the same time keeping her position of the mother. She employs her “fatherly” attitude whenever boys come into the picture. In reality she is like every other normal father, concerned and sad about how their little girl changed from loving horses to being attracted to boys. I don’t think there is one day that goes by, where I am not reminded by her that boys are the devil. My mother uses the same speech to my brother about how girls are indeed the devil as well. Like a father, she also learned that in order to discipline us the right way, we needed to get hit by the belt a few times. This is one method that has really taught me never to “talk back” and be disobedient to my mother again.

The most difficult part for a single mother is being the sole provider for the family. I believe that everyday is hard for my mom; she has been working at Boeing for over 20 years and has managed to escape all the companies’ layoffs throughout the years.

I can honestly say that we have never lacked anything in our household. Our family has been very blessed. On only my mother’s income, she has managed to pay two home mortgages, bills, and my brother’s college tuition for two years. Sometimes there are those unexpected bills that are caused by her wonderful children. Those out of the blue bills can range anywhere from going over cell phone minutes, paying for all the minor car accidents I get in, to sending 300-400 text messages, that cost ten cents each, per month. My mother makes an average amount at her job and accomplishing all that she has, still leaves me dazed.

My mother is loaded down with various household roles, but I think she plays mom the best. She leads a life for Christ and with her Christian faith, has encouraged me to do the same. She cooks dinner, cleans, and disciplines us. Sometimes, when my room gets disastrous she helps me clean it, so I have nothing to complain about. My brother on the other hand, complains about my mom’s cooking, but maybe he is just tired of instant food.

Everyday a single mother must provide for the family, cook, clean and do double duty. When we were little, my mother struggled hard to support us. Even before I was born my mother struggled to take care of my brother. For a long time they lived off Happy Meals at McDonalds because we that was all they could afford on her income at that time. My mother has demonstrated that she can take on both roles of the household. She has succeeded in being that fatherly figure, exceeded in being the family provider, and surpassed the role of being a loving mother. My brother and I keep asking my mother to relax and retire now because she has provided us with enough in life; and now it is our time to give back to her. I believe in my mother, who is in fact a single mother.