Tyler - Des Moines, Iowa
Themes: work

I believe that truly anything is possible if you really want it and are willing to work for it. This belief has driven me to where I am today, typing a paper for a class during my senior year at a respectable college.

I would have to say that this believe has been instilled in me by my grandfather since the day I was born. My grandfather was born into a middle class family. His parents owned a small hardware store on the south side of Des Moines, Iowa. He didn’t have much but it was enough to survive. Right out of high school my grandfather started working in construction. He discovered that he really enjoyed working with masonry. After saving for a few years, he and one other partner, opened their own masonry contracted company. After years of hard work and effective management, the company “Forrest and Associates” became one of the premier masonry contractors in the Midwest. For this reason, my grandfather has always told all of his grandchildren that anything is possible if we work for it.

My life started out great. I had two parents who helped me out anyway possible. My younger brother and I had all of our needs met, for a while anyways. When I made the transition from elementary school to middle school I was experiencing all the normal difficulties plus my parents had decided to get a divorce. My brother and I rotated around every six months, living at one parent’s house and then the other. Because the family income was now divided we could not afford nice things or go to nice schools. Going to a big city school, it is easy to fall through the gaps academically. All I cared about was being eligible to play sports. I didn’t learn much because all I cared about was getting through. I have been tempted by every vice known on earth and have said no to just about all of them because I knew I could make a better life for myself.

When I graduated high school, I was the only one of my friends to go to college. It has been really hard for me to get through because learning is not something that comes easy for me but I made it. I am in my senior year deciding if I should get a job or go on to law school. Whatever I decide, I have the confidence that I will succeed at it because I am willing to work for that.