Kathryn - Ankeny, Iowa

I believe passion should be the driving force behind everyone’s actions. Passion, to me, is about doing something you enjoy, both professionally and personally. I also believe that that thing you’re passionate about will help you discover, if only for a moment, true happiness.

Ever since I was little, I’ve been the girl who spins like a ballerina across the kitchen floor just to get an apple or throw something away. At first, dance was just something I did for fun. I’ve always been energetic and spirited, so dance was a great outlet for me. But when I reached middle school, I became very dedicated and focused on dance. What had begun solely for fun, slowly turned into something I considered pursuing as my profession. I couldn’t get enough of it, whether I was having a bad day or just plain bored. It was then that I discovered what it means to be passionate.

Here I am, years later, and I’ve realized that I’m passionate about much more than just dance. Now, passion has reached all aspects of my life. I’m passionate about being there for my family and friends, my romantic relationships, and my future career. In a way, I suppose you could say I’m passionate about taking in the simple pleasures in life as well.

I think my passion’s grown because I’ve realized that the loved ones in my life aren’t going to be around forever, so I need to make the most of my time with them. I lost one of my great uncles a few years ago and although I had the chance to say good-bye, I didn’t take it because I couldn’t stand seeing him suffer in that hospital bed. I can honestly say that’s the only thing I’ve ever regretted and that was definitely a turning point in how I view all of my relationships.

I’m also passionate about my future career. Surprisingly, I didn’t continue with dance. I spent a year weighing the pros and cons of becoming a dancer and I finally decided it wasn’t the choice for me. However, my parents and my dance teacher wanted me to pursue it, so I did auditioned for a professional dance company. I guess the company agreed that it wasn’t for me either because I didn’t make the cut. Nevertheless, I am still very passionate about dance. Luckily, for me, you can dance anywhere, even in a kitchen!

Instead of dance, I decided to pursue psychology. Psychology has been the one field of study that sparked my interest right away and has actually stayed with me. I hope to study school psychology because along with loving psychology, I’m crazy about kids! It’s the perfect way for me to live out two of my passions. I feel that people should pursue a career based on the happiness it brings them rather than the salary it brings them. After all, doing what you enjoy is what passion is all about.