Marcie - Indianola, Iowa

I believe in living in the moment. There are so many relationships and opportunities in our lives that won’t be around forever. I believe in never taking those things for granted.

The first of my examples, which is actually the one that got my mind thinking about this concept, is my last year of college. Being a senior at Simpson College, I have realized that this part of my life is coming to an end. These past three years have gone by extremely fast and I am sure that my senior year won’t be any different. As I focus on my future and where I will be at this time next year and ten years from now, I tend to forget that this is the last year I will get to enjoy so many things. Most importantly are the relationships I have made over the past three years. Many of these will hopefully last much longer but never again will I be able to spend so much time with roommates and friends like I am able to do now. Our lives may take us in different directions, altering our relationships. This is why I believe it is so important to get the most out of them while they are still intact.

After this last year of college, I will also never again have the freedom that I do now. As of now, I assume I will soon be working 40 hour weeks, which is much different than attending classes. It is important to do things in my time now that I will not be able to do later. One of these things is to travel. At the end of my senior year, I plan to travel to Europe. I have always wanted to spend time in Europe and this could be the best time to do it. The opportunity may come up again somewhere down the road but you can never be sure. Because of this, I can’t overlook it.

I also believe that living in the moment is never choosing to settle for anything less than what you want. An example that directly relates to my life right now deals with finding the right occupation. I am living in the moment by taking advantage of two great internships that have come my way this year. They will both give me experience and help me decide what I do and don’t want to do for the rest of my life. I know I don’t want to settle for a job that I don’t enjoy. Utilizing internships is my way of cutting down on wasted time in a job I don’t like.

Living in the moment is a concept that is very important to me. I believe in not taking for granted those things that matter in life. I truly believe that I do live in the moment and I am hopeful that I will be this way my entire life.