Brittany - Indianola, Iowa

I will not spend my life waiting for someone special to come along and make me happy. In my twenty-one short years I have quickly learned that the key to happiness is something I must learn myself rather than rely on someone else. My personal happiness is something that I should be in charge of and no one should have control over.

I have been very emotionally involved in my past relationships, caring far too much about the other person’s happiness and sacrificing my own on many occasions. It was brought to my attention many times that this other person was not willing to do the same for me. At the end of these relationships, the result was always the same, I was left feeling empty and very unhappy. I realized that I was focusing on one negative aspect of my life and I was forced stop and look at my life and all that was good in it. I soon realized that I was in fact, very fortunate for the life and many blessings I had been given. I had the most supportive and loving group of family and friends anyone could ask for. My job was something I loved doing each day and I was healthy. It was then that I knew that I could not let someone else control my mood and that no one would ever have that power over me again. I was the one who was going to make myself happy. From that day on, I decided whenever I was feeling unhappy, I would look at my life and all the good things in it rather than focusing on the one bad thing that was getting me down.

Right now there is not a significant other in my life and it does get me down from time to time. However, everything else in my life is more than I could ever ask for and I remind myself that often. I know that someday, someone very special will come along, but I am not going to sit around and waste time being unhappy until they get here!