Christina - Buffalo Grove, Illinois
Themes: integrity

I believe that everyone should follow their hearts and do what they think is the right thing to do.

When I was a young kid I was always seen hanging out with a bunch of guys. I was always made fun of for this but I followed my heart and continued hanging out with them. Now I am a 17 year old girl who is glad she followed her heart. By always hanging out with the guys I became a stronger person physically, mentally, and am able to stick up for myself. I became stronger physically because my brothers and guy friends were always beating up on me to make me stronger. Mentally I became stronger because I told myself that I could do anything if I followed m y heart.

While growing up and making big decisions I always just sat back and thought to myself, is this something that I am going to be happy with later on in life? One big decision I had to make was if I was going to continue doing cheerleading or not. I did cheerleading when I was in 7th and 8th grade. In my 8th grade year our squad went all the way to nationals in Orlando, Florida. Within these two years I gained six trophies that still sit on my dresser to this day.

I had to think to myself if I had the time and energy to continue doing it since now I was entering high school. After I moved I decided to stop doing cheerleading. The first high school I went to was Addison Trail High School and their mascot was Bucky the Blazer. Even now I am a blazer at heart and go to all their football games wishing I was down there on the sidelines cheering the blazers to a victory.

Another time I had to make a big decision was at the beginning of my senior year. I had to decide if I was going to do bowling and/or do it through school; I decided not to do it anymore because I had started babysitting everyday. The year before I had joined a bowling league outside of school and ended up going to state. I placed 22nd in my zone; for me that’s really good at my first time doing something. Doing bowling was a big accomplishment for me since I really haven’t done many extracurricular activities.

Well I believe that if you follow your heart you have a better chance of being successful. Being a successful person is one thing that I truly want in my lifetime. Whether it be I am a great mother to having a nice, fun, high paying job. Everyone should have a successful life.

So with whatever decisions you make follow your heart. I follow my heart with every decision I make and they all have seemed to be right.