Nicole - USA

This I believe…

It seems to me that in today’s society more adults are married and divorced quicker than ever. People spend years together prior to marriage and will were always able to reconcile conflicts, but all of a sudden, they hit an obstacle and believe that’s the end of it. My parents were married for eleven years and tried everything possible to stay together, but in the end, they too got divorced. Now, sixteen years later, neither of them have remarried and they talk to each other everyday. Though they are divorced, they have stayed loyal to one of their vows: Being a part of each other’s life until the end. I believe if every married couple had a loyalty to each other as my parents do, divorce would not be the first solution after every argument.

All throughout highschool I had five best friends. The sic of us were constantly going out together and meeting new people. It was normal to come home from school, change, and head over to someone’s house for dinner. We were like a big family and did everything together. There were no secrets and no lies between us. It came as quite a shock to me whenever one of my girls would meet a new guy they began to put him before her five best friends. They more often it happened, the easier it was for me to see who my true loyalties really were.

Every summer in July, my family and I would drive to my cousins house about and hour away. My two sisters and I were always excited to see my three cousins. As a child, I loved to play over there all day and then spend the night. It was such a fun tradition for me up until I got into highschool. Once I made new friends and began hanging out with them everyday, I felt to mature to take an hour-long trip to “play” with my cousins. ‘Family comes first’ is something I live and die by so I knew no matter what, I was going over there. To my surprise, when I got there I only saw two of my cousins. My aunt told me that one of them had made previous plans with some friends and wasn’t going to be back in time. I quickly realized that sometimes even family forgets their loyalties too.

As I have grown up and matured, I have found that even the people I trusted the most may not always be there for me. It is hard to know someone for fifteen years and have them choose their boyfriend of a month as their top priority. Many people have come in and out of my life but I know that I have done a great job finding my true loyalties and holding them close.