Lisa - Wheeling, Illinois
Themes: love

Just Call me Old Fashioned

I believe in Romance. Love is one of the most powerful feelings a person can have and nowadays, people don’t take the time to appreciate the simple things love has to give.

People have become far too comfortable with impatience. Nobody likes to wait, especially if it’s for something they long for. I think of the television show Sex and The City where the characters treat relationships like taxi cabs, jumping from one to the next just to get where they’re going but never sitting back to enjoy the ride. People feel so hurried to find the person they’re looking for that they settle for the basics and hope for the best. They skip over the best parts of the relationships because they’re too busy looking for something more. They want the spouse, the children, the family, but they don’t want to work for it, much less wait for it. I’m just now in the process of my first heartbreak and if I’m learning anything from it, it’s to slow down and appreciate the simple romances.

I guess you could call me old fashioned. I live for the slow sunsets, the candle lit dinners, the roses on my doorstep. I have butterflies in my stomach every time I go through a first date, a first goodnight walk to my door, a first kiss. I believe in fairy tale endings. I think that my Prince Charming is out there waiting. Some call me childish, but I’d say im optimistic.

Without the simple surprises, the butterflies, and the simple reminders that I’m loved, life would be pointless to me. Those things remind me to slow down and take a step back once in a while. There are hidden beauties and romantic gestures all around us, some just waiting to be created.

Those classic movie-screen love stories are real to me and I hope I am lucky enough one day to experience one. It’s the sweet nothings in the world that make me smile.