Lynn - Elk Grove, California
Themes: work

Perseverance

As a child growing up in Modesto, California during the 1950’s, my father would always give me sound advice. I remember dad saying, “Lynn, when you want to accomplish any task try to do the best job you can.” He would also tell me that if I failed at trying to accomplish any difficult task, to never give up, to keep on persevering. My father advised me to keep on trying to achieve every task I start until I feel satisfied. I believe my father’s advice has helped me become a stronger person, a good friend to people who have difficult problems and want to give up, and a wise mother that taught her children to keep on trying no matter what happens in life.

Last summer I took English 300 with Ms. Vaughn at Sacramento City College. I took this class for three reasons. First, I wanted to learn how to write different types of essays, so I could pass the English section of the CBEST. Secondly, I needed to pass English 300 in order to take Ms. Ochoa’s English 302 class in the fall. Thirdly, I wanted to demonstrate to my children that if I persevered hard enough, I could get an A or B in the class. However, I did not realize that taking English 300 during the summer condensed the class to six weeks instead of eighteen and be very challenging. Ms. Vaughn required us to write five essays and a six to eight page research paper within a period of six weeks. Since I knew that I wanted to get either an A or B grade in Ms. Vaughn’s English class, for six weeks I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and went to bed at 11:00 p.m. at night. One week I lost three pounds from studying such long hours. Even though I received a B- grade on the first essay, I was determined to write a better essay and earn an A grade in the class. I accomplished my goal, and I felt so proud and excited about my achievement that I told my coworkers at Sacramento City Bookstore, my friends, family, and my two children. I believe I set a good example for my children to see that persevering will result in good grades and happiness.

My strong belief in persevering no matter how difficult the task, has influenced my children. My daughter, Parisa, saw me struggle and not give up on writing four three to five page essays, and a ten-page research paper. She helped me earn an A grade in the class by staying up to 11:00 p.m. one night to edit my Dr. Doolittle essay. Parisa, who is currently attending Long Beach State University, told me that my belief of preserving no matter how difficult the situation may be is the greatest value I have taught her.