David - Indianola, Iowa

Stop, Look in the Distance

On a recent trip home on the highway I came to a break in the horizon where it seemed the earth stretched forever. At this very moment, although still driving, time stood still as I realized the magnitude of the world in which I was a part. I glanced over to see a sign reading Jasper county, as if I was in front of a computer “zooming out” of a map with a mere click of a button. I saw this stretching land not even encompassing the small county in which combined with others to make states, onto countries, until finally the world was so large, and I became so small, yet more meaningful.

What I came to believe was how precious life was. I am only one tiny unit, but without me, there is not a whole. As I snapped back out of my trance, I was enthused and eager to inquire if others felt the same as I. Regretfully, I found that a vast number of people not only did not, but also did not care or had not thought about it. In trying to understand this, I came to the conclusion people fall into ruts. Their life becomes a routine in which controls them, not allowing them to stop, and look in the distance.

I looked back on my own life and those of my loved ones and not shockingly found that we had all fell into these routines, we had all been switched to autopilot. I immediately found my switch, flicked it in the opposite direction, and decided what I wanted to do with my future. I changed my career path, for the first time I was deciding to do what I would enjoy, rather than pursuing a career I thought I could stand for the money. It completely changed my outlook of the future and it felt good. From then on, I constantly wake up in the morning with a new agenda. Undoubtedly, I participate in my routine, that’s life, but I steer my own plane, the switch has been turned off.

Just as my view was incomprehensible as to the size of the place we live, so is the magnitude of life. It is an unexplainable phenomenon which is truly a gift. A gift taken for granted by myself for so long, but no more. This is why when I wake up each morning I am full of life and love being able to ask the questions, why are we here and why me? We all share the gift of life, and it is our duty to embrace it, and never take a moment for granted. Life is precious, life is a privilege, and life is ours, this I believe.