Jennifer - Indianola, Iowa

I Believe in Helping Others

All through my life I have been taught to help others to benefit myself. I have always liked this aspect in my life from helping in the littlest way like working with my old dance teacher with casses to doing mission work. From helping others I have gained so much in my life although I am pretty certain that the people that I have helped have gained a lot more and for that I am very pleased with myself.

One of my first experiences helping others has been babysitting my younger sister while my parents went out with friends and also babysitting other people’s kids as well. This is one of the smaller times that I have given of my time but I know that the families appreciated it a lot. Another one of the smaller things that I have done is worked in the church nursery during the church service and watching the kids there so the parents didn’t have to take them into church.

Another time that I have given of my time was to go to West Virginia and do some mission work through our church. We went down there to help the less fortunate rebuild their lives. The lady that we worked with had loose plumbing that we fixed and just picked up her yard. We also talked with the family and got to know them so that was a very neat part of the experience. The following year we went to Tennessee and did the same sort of thing. This time we split up between girls and guys and the girls built a porch and the guys did the plumbing inside the house. This year was more heart wrenching for me because of the relationships with the families and also the interaction that I had personally with the family. After building the porch she came out and told us that this would be the first night that she could rock on her front porch and that really made me think about how much I take for granted.

The last experience has been while I have been here at Simpson and working with kids. I volunteer my time at Shalom Zone in Des Moines and that is a safe atmosphere where kids can come after school and get help with homework and just have people that care about them. This has been my major project here at Simpson because I love children and this is the one that worked best in my schedule.

This is another reason why I believe that people should help each other. I also volunteer at the blood center or used to and I donate blood when I am available and that also helps others because it saves their lives when people need blood. I don’t think that people need to go to this extreme route to give blood but I believe that people should give of their time during the week to help others because I know that for me I get more from giving my time then receiving a material benefit from doing it.