Katherine - Indianola, Iowa

It is difficult for me to narrow down my beliefs into an essay of no more than five hundred words, but, since that is the task at hand, I will throw myself whole-heartedly into it. I believe that my life boils down to: I am here to make the lives of those around me better. If I have the chance to brighten someone’s day, I do it, and my day is better because of it. My faith doesn’t have to play any part in that scenario either. I find joy and contentment in bringing others joy and peace. I believe that my purpose is to help others; to do so I have been given gifts which allow me to share my talents with others in a way that is beneficial to them. I believe it is my prerogative to do what will make me happy in life. However, I also believe that I walk a fine line between doing what will make me happy and not doing what will hurt others. I am a tutor and a volunteer, and it takes time away from my studies. I have struggled with the choice of quitting tutoring and volunteering so that my grades will be better due to the extra time I would have to study. I know that getting good grades satisfies me, but I believe that there is more to life than instant gratification. I believe that I am making my life more meaningful day by day due to the effect I have on others.

I want to be a doctor because I believe that I can make a difference in this world. I will do all that I can to make the lives of those I come into contact with better. My grandmother died of cancer when I was twelve years old, and I know that families need the support of one another in times like those. However, I also know that my dad really appreciated how much my grandma’s oncologist cared about her. I saw how that doctor affected my family, and I believe I have the power to have that effect on others as well. I realize that it will be difficult to deal with all the sickness and dying that comes with being a doctor, but I believe, like this essay, that it is the task at hand, and I will throw myself whole-heartedly into it.