Rachel - Atlanta, Georgia
Themes: integrity

Happiness, success, leisure, freedom, and fun are all words most people associate with money. Personally, I associate words like greed, hate, and death, with the term. Sure, money does bring good things to people, but I believe that money is the root of evil.

In today’s society, there is no way you can survive with little or no money. There are plenty of Americans working hard and striving for a better tomorrow with little compensation. For example, my aunt goes to work Monday through Friday, works from 8:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M., and can still barely feed her three children and pay the mortgage on her two bedroom house. On the other hand, my grandfather has not worked in 40 years because he doesn’t need to. He took an early requirement when he was 40, put his three kids through college, and lives in a million dollar house. This does not seem fair to me. I don’t see how one person who works so hard deserves to struggle so much, while another person can sit on their nice leather love seat above Persian carpets, and wake up in their 1,000 thread count Egyptian cotton with not a care in the world.

If I were in my grandfather’s shoes, I would not be so greedy. He may not seem like a greedy person, but when I see people suffering, like a good percentage of our country, it makes me sick. To see someone, especially someone in my family, struggling from a money issue, makes me want to be generous and give hope to other people. I just don’t understand how greed can consume people’s lives as much as it already does.

Other than greed, I have seen horrendous things like hate, torture, and death in relation to money. Hate is a strong word, but it is out there. Even some of my friends hate other people because they owe them money, or something worth money, that has yet been compensated for. This hate can and will lead to worse things, like torture. Just last week, a good friend of mine was severely injured and put in the intensive care unit because he owed someone money. It’s upsetting that people will go to extensive lengths as to nearly beat someone to death for a little green piece of paper.

Death is probably the worst case of this evil that money creates. I would say that about 90 percent of murders in the United States today are related to money, or something worth money that someone wants. Over the summer, one of my cousins was in a bad drug deal and died because they demanded more money. He came up short and got shot in the chest. He died shortly after. I was devastated when I heard of this tragedy, and it upsets me that the society is blind to this huge dilemma. I hope that one day the world will come to peace and money will not be such a big issue.