Kyle - Atlanta, Georgia

I believe that everyone is an addict. This plague is not only induced through substance abuse but through the channels of activities and interests. My own daily indulgence of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco garners routine scrutiny from my family, friends and the media. Even if I were to quit these habits I would still be an addict, because I am also an addict of the act of doing nothing. My laziness is to such a degree that even writing this paper is a strain. I consider myself to have above average intelligence with well below average motivation. I ascertained this belief mainly because I’ve frequently been told this over the years. Teachers were the ones who proclaimed I had so much potential. The presence of so much potential was mainly due to my lack of accomplishment, without having achieved anything the academic world was still mine to conquer.

I have often wondered just how well I could actually do in school. In all likely-hood I will never know. From seventh grade through my current level of twelfth my accompaniment of friends has included the brightest students of my school with the interest and personality to match. The group has always been eclectic including jocks that are stoners and philosophizers of life who are apathetic. My companions differed from me in that their grades were indicative of such intelligence, where as my own were not. A common theme throughout my diverse crowd of cohorts was an obsessive interest, habit or use of a substance. My own addiction of laziness allowed me the freedom of enjoying multiple hedonistic pleasures, often multiple at once, without worry of what I should be doing. While I only did what I pleased to, my friends subjected themselves to the hardships of school, piano lessons, and sport’s training. I believe that their actions are just as harmful to their health as my addictions are to mine. Their absolute concentration on specific activities acts as a set of blinders and prohibits enjoyment from the rest of what the world has to offer.

Upon recent assessment of my life I realized that above my substance abuse the most harmful enjoyment of my addictions is being lazy. While my success driven friends are addicted to accomplishment and the wish to achieve nothing else, I am on the opposite end of the spectrum with little care as to what I achieve within my life. Regardless of your addiction, it exists and may or may not be harmful to your physical or mental health. I recently established the belief in diversification. I wish to limit the habitual enjoyment of single activity or interests in order to indulge in all the life has to offer.