Stephanie - Atlanta, Georgia
Themes: family, setbacks

This I believe….

I believe that parents expect too much from their children. No matter what no child is perfect.

They only expect A’s, so what a B is not good enough? I come home everyday filled with joy because I know that I didn’t fail anything the prior day. I report my good fortune to my parents. As my spirits are high they shot me down. All I hear is “you can do better, we expect more from you.”

There are those words that infuriate me. Those words make me want to lash out and go crazy on them. Instead, I take what I am told and go on with my day.

This does not only happen with schoolwork but everything else. They expect me to do at least two sports. Have they ever thought that I don’t enjoy them? Have they every thought that during games I would rather be sitting on the bench than playing them. In my mind I am miserable.

I even dread family dinners. My parents start going on about something all because I would not eat some gross organic food for organic cancer survivors. I hear my dad say, “People who try new things get ahead in life.” The way he says it makes me so mad. I say ya whatever and leave the kitchen table even thought I’m still hungry.

They always talk about the future, like I really care. They talk to me as if everything I do is wrong, like they are disappointed in me. They expect too much. If they are trying to get me to become the best person I can, they are not approaching it correctly.

You would think that I could control my life. They had their chance to be a child. They need to stop expecting me to do this or that and living through me. They think they know their children, news flash, they don’t!

They think I’m something I’m not. They really don’t know anything about me. Maybe if I could talk to them without getting in trouble for saying carp, butt, or suck, then they would know me.

I expect parents to guide me trough life. I don’t expect parents that pick and choose my path for me.