Britni - Dunwoody, Georgia

This I Believe…

I believe in procrastination. When people hear this, they tend to picture someone who is lazy and unmotivated, which is not always the case. Procrastination is not a bad habit, it’s a way of life.

I have a friend who is always busy, a multi-tasker. Throughout the say she has a to-do list and is constantly trying to get things done. Why? So she can have some free time. The problem with that is that you can always think of something that has yet to be done.

I was talking to my other friends about my revelation. One of them said that he heard of a study on the subject that concluded that multitasking actually leaves you with less time. Now, I don’t know if that’s true or not. I keep meaning to look it up.

I believe that procrastination is not always an act of laziness, but a way of insuring you actually have that preciously coveted bit of time to relax. I believe that when we try to complete our task lists, we find we actually have less time.

Later that week, I saw Ellen Degeneres: Here And Now, where she spoke on the subject of procrastination. She put it quite simply, “If we could save up a chunk of time, do you know what we would do with it? Nothing, because isn’t that the point, to be able to do nothing?”

I see procrastination as a way to sit back and enjoy your life. You can always find a way to keep busy, but when do we ever sit back and enjoy the simple things? What I would really like to do is put off going to college for a year to travel and discover who I am and what I want to do with my life. That’s not because I’m lazy or unmotivated.

Sometimes procrastination, when done out of laziness, can cause problems, so try to maintain a balance. I think we all deserve time to think, to reflect, and to idealize about what we truly want out of our time on this planet, because we don’t have much of it. To quote Ellen Degeneres, “Procrastinate now, don’t put it off.”