Ed - Oak Brook, Illinois

I fervently believe that we humans share this planet with every other life form on it; that all life on earth has both purpose and meaning; and that I, along with every other human being on this planet, have a moral responsibility to help preserve earth’s life, in every conceivable form.

This ardent life long belief was first instilled in me by my beloved Polish immigrant grandmother as a very young child, and fifty some years later, I can still remember her exact words:

“Edju, all life was given to the earth by God, and all life has purpose and meaning, even that tiny bug on this rose bush.”

And because of my grandmother’s patient loving tutelage, I have spent most of my life studying earth’s many life forms, marveling at nature’s many wonders, and doing what I can to help preserve it for future generations of nature loving humans like myself to enjoy.

Because of my grandmother, I learned to appreciate the simple joys of backyard gardening; the natural wonder of each of earth’s very different and unique seasons; the extremely lovely and wondrous melodies of numerous types of tiny songbirds that visited her tiny big city backyard nature preserve; and, the many merits of dogs, cats, and numerous other types of pets.

Because of my grandmother, I’ve also become a nature and animal writer, an animal shelter volunteer, a feral feline trapper, a staunch advocate of preserving our wildlife refuges, and very recently, a Hurricane Katrina pet rescuer.

And as I get older, I seem to appreciate nature and all types of animals a little more with each passing day, but my aging heart also now breaks for so many of them these days, as I now also sadly witness far too many examples of animal cruelty and many of my fellow human beings who seem to have very little regard for earth’s environment, its essential ecosystems, and the dire plight of so many endangered wild animals in our extremely callous modern world today.

But as long as I remain on this earth, I will continue to learn as much as I can about its many natural wonders and its many diverse life forms; speak out on their behalf whenever I possibly can; write about their many merits; and never forget my grandmother’s very sage words, actions, and beliefs about all forms of life on earth, which I believe have served me extremely well for over fifty years.