Margo - carrollton, Texas
Themes: setbacks

“There’s a Plan.”

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Whether it’s good or bad, in the end, it’s for the better. I definitely have not believed this all of my life, and a few years ago I would have completely disagreed. I mean, when you are going through a really hard time in your life, you tend to not focus on the bright side. At least I didn’t.

My life has been challenging from the very start. Well, the start of the time that I could actually comprehend what was going on. At age three, almost four, my parents got divorced. And it was ugly. My dad was an alcoholic and very depressed. He remains the same to this day- or at least that’s the last I heard. I didn’t see my dad too much after that. Just a weekend every now and then. I don’t see him at all anymore. I don’t hear from him. I don’t really hear of him either. From this, you can understand my pain and struggles throughout life pretty easily. I spent a long portion of growing up missing my dad, feeling depressed, and later hating him for leaving and messing everything up. Every night I’d wish he’d come back so I could have someone to give me big bear hugs, someone to run to when I was in trouble with Mom, someone to spoil me like my friend’s daddy’s did to them. For a long time I wanted so badly to just be able to wear a shirt that said something like “Daddy’s Princess.”

These wishes never came true. And it hurt. Though, throughout these last few years, little by little, the hurt has decreased. I’m almost 16 now, and I often find myself looking back on what happened and looking at who I am today. I feel that I’m a stronger person. I’ve become to be more thankful for what I do have. I’m very independent and I have no problem with doing things for myself. Most of all, I’ve grown closer to God by accepting what He throws at me. Well, more like what He dodges at me.

No, I don’t have a father. Unfortunate, yes, but like my mom always says, that’s life (Many times have I cringed at this phrase that my mom so adores- just because she’d respond to me with it after I’d vent about something that upset me. And I hate when she’s right). You just have to put yourself in God’s hands, and accept that what He does is involved in His plan for you. No matter how bad the situation, He has a plan. It’s for the better.