Rachel - Duluth, Minnesota

I Believe

I believe that everyone should have self-confidence. In my experience of not being confident in myself has held me back tremendously. In high school one of my friends was the type of girl who didn’t care what other people thought of her and she did what she wanted. She would go up to people introduce herself and make friends with just about everyone. Every time she made a new friend I just wished that I had one ounce of her self-confidence to just do and not think.

I was taking a chemistry class and if the teacher assigned homework that I did not get I would ask classmates how to do those problems. If they didn’t know the answer I wouldn’t ask the teacher because I felt like I should understand the question and I didn’t want to bother the teacher. Sometimes when I went up to the teacher to ask a question they would exhale loudly, like it is a big inconvenience that I was asking a question. So instead of asking questions I would study hard the night before a test and do horribly. Then I would feel even worse because I knew that I would have gotten a better grade had I just asked the teacher for help.

I am such a friendly person and if I meet someone for the first time and talk to them in class we get along really well, but then if I pass them in the hallway I am always waiting for them to say hi. Then if they don’t say hi I feel bad and I think that maybe they didn’t like me instead of just sucking it up and saying hi to them. It is hard to be the first person to say hi because you don’t know if they will say hi back or just keep walking without saying anything. This is why I believe that everyone should have self-confidence, we would all be friends and no one would feel stupid saying hi, asking questions or just meeting new people.