Amanda - Nashville, Tennessee

I believe in self worth. I believe that any human being, from fertilization to death, has worth and purpose. I have found throughout my life and experiences that every human has the right to live, be loved, and that every human being is priceless.

My mom discovered she was pregnant with me when she was just sixteen years old. My father and my mother received a lot of ridicule, and a lot of pressure from their friends and family to “give the baby up” and “just get rid of it” because they had their whole lives ahead of them. My mom looked to God for the answer, and even though she was kicked out of her own home and had no one to turn to, she chose me and gave me a chance. My parents loved me enough to give up there own dreams and desires and instead, give me life.

I have carried this with me throughout my life, when I am down and feel like life is not worth living, I remember that someone sacrificed their dreams and plans for me. When I think that I am not good enough, pretty enough, special enough, skinny enough, I remind myself of the fact that my family has given so much for me. I have worth.

This also brings me to look at the Cross. I believe that Jesus Christ died and rose again for me and erased my sins so I could be His child for eternity. If a man, if the Son of God, thought I was important enough to die for, I must be worth something. And every human must have worth of some degree to have their Creator, the God of the universe, send His only Son to live and die for us.

Many young people, especially young women, lose sight of their self-worth. As a young woman, I get dozens of images each day presenting how I should look, what I should wear, and who I should be. Most times these images that I am “supposed” to follow as a young person try to rob me of who I am and try to trick me into compromising my beliefs, values, and body. A woman is worth more than her size or shape or appearance. A man is worth more than his pocketbook or power or amount of muscle.

As I get older, see more, and experience more, I come to realize that nothing can diminish human worth, not age, color, social class, country, or background. Human lives, our lives, are worth much. We are of value before we even leave our mother’s womb, we each have a purpose, a talent, a gift to give the world. We have significant worth. We are all worthy of life, beauty, friendship, and love. I believe in self worth.